Summer is a time for celebrating with fireworks and sparklers. Rebecca Dost Photography shared these tips for painting with light (we used sparklers). We hope you’ll try it this Memorial Day and share your results with us.
What you need:
- A camera that has manual mode (meaning the aperture and shutter speed can be adjusted)
- A tripod.
- A dark room/space.
- A light source. Sparklers were used for these pictures.
What to do:
- Set your shutter speed to around 8 seconds, you may need to set it for longer depending on what you are drawing/writing.
- Adjust your aperture to provide a large enough depth of field (f/8 is a good starting point).
- You will need to focus your camera manually. Then look through the view finder and determine how much space you have to paint in.
- When you are ready light your sparkler or turn on your light source. Click the shutter and begin painting! The slower you ‘paint’ the more lit up the strokes will be!
~Happy Light Painting!