Cupcakes are an extremely tasty dessert, but a plain cupcake is also a blank canvas for a creative masterpiece. If you want to have the hit dessert at your next gathering, use the following cupcake decorating ideas to create some wild and crazy cupcakes that will have everyone in awe.
Are you serving cupcakes or tiny bowls of popcorn? Your guest won’t know until they bite in.
• cupcakes, any flavor
• white frosting
• mini marshmallows
• yellow food coloring
1. Use white icing to frost the top of the cupcakes.
2. Take one mini marshmallow and cut an “X” onto the top. Continue doing this for 20-40 marshmallows.
3. Place the marshmallows on top of the cupcake, adhering with the white frosting. Make sure to place the X on top, and continue placing marshmallows until you can no longer see the top of the cupcake.
4. Add yellow food coloring with water into a spray bottle. Lightly spray the top of the marshmallows with the diluted food coloring for a “buttery” look.
• large marshmallows
• red frosting
• orange and brown Reece’s Pieces
• Oreo cookies
1. Use red frosting on the top of the cupcakes. You can either spread on flat or use a flower frosting tip for a more authentic look.
2. Cut the wafer of the Oreo cookie in half, and place it (flat side up) on the bottom half of the cupcake.
3. Cut a large marshmallow in half, and place both halves on the top half of the cupcake, with the large circular sides sticking out.
4. Place an orange Reese’s Pieces between the marshmallows and the Oreo.
5. Place brown reese’s on top of the marshmallows. You may need to adhere with frosting.
• white frosting
• butter rum flavored candy
• chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup sliced almonds
• 24 cashews
1. Use white frosting to frost the cupcakes.
2. Put 2 butter rum candies on the top half of the cupcakes, which will end up being the eyes.
3. Place chocolate chips into the butter rum candy to look like the center of the eye.
4. Place the almonds above the eyes, sticking out so that it looks like feathers.
5. Place the cashew in the center of the cupcake as the beak.
• white cake mix
• food coloring (multiple colors)
• whipped cream or frosting
1. Prepare white cake mix according to package directions, and then separate into separate bowls, one bowl for each food color.
2. Dye each bowl a color. You can use the back of your food coloring package to teach you how to make different colors.
3. Distribute the cake mixes evenly into each muffin cup, spreading with a spoon so that colors lay flat against other colors.
4. Bake the cupcakes according to package directions.
5. When cupcakes have cooked and cooled, add whipped cream or frosting to the top.
More fun cupcake decorating ideas: